As someone who speaks at leadership conferences to help leaders understand how to identify and maintain trust, I often get requested about what team building exercises...
We all thrive when we feel trusted and when we trust others.
Trust is an emotion that's difficult to explain why it's important to us. These trust in business quotes help put context around the importance of trust at work.
1. "The glue that holds all relationships together--including the relationship between the leader and the led--is trust, and trust is based on integrity." - Brian Tracy
2. “Great teams consist of individuals who have learned to trust each other. Over time, they have discovered each other’s strengths and weaknesses, enabling them to play as a coordinated whole.” - Amy Edmondson, The Fearless Organization
3. “A team fused by trust and purpose is much more potent. They can improvise a coordinated response to dynamic, real-time developments.” - General McChrystal, Team of Teams
4. "Trust doesn't mean that you trust that someone won't screw up. It means that you trust them when they do screw up." - Ed Catmull, Pixar
5. "Trust equals consistency over time. There's no shortcut for either." - Jeff Weiner, Executive Chairman, LinkedIn
6. “Leadership is an achievement of trust.” - Peter F. Drucker
7. “Purpose affirms trust, trust affirms purpose and together they forge individuals into a working team.” - Coleman Ruiz, Navy SEAL, (quote from Team of Teams)
8. Trust is the ability for everyone in an organisation to confidently rely on (and predict) that others will do the right thing and make good on their promises." - Marie-Claire Ross, Trusted to Thrive
9. “We feel like trust is stable, but every single moment your brain is tracking your environment, and running a calculation whether you can trust the people around you and bond with them. Trust comes down to context. And what drives it is the sense that you’re vulnerable, that you need others and can’t do it on your own.” - David DeSteno, Professor of Psychology, Northeastern University, (quote from The Culture Code)
10. "Trust and mutual value creation helps both employer and employee compete in the marketplace." - Reid Hoffman, founder LinkedIn
11. “As you progress in your career, your relationship with others is more important than your knowledge of the relationship to the data. You have to suppress your ego, let go of having the answer and embrace the relational world. [Leadership] becomes less about having competencies and more about engendering trust.” - Stuart Kaplan, Director of leadership Recruiting at Google, (quote from The Right and Wrong Stuff).
12. "Trust has to be the highest value in your company, and if it’s not, something bad is going to happen to you." - Marc Benioff
13. "Leadership is the relentless pursuit of truth and ceaseless creation of trust." - Jack Welch, former GE CEO
14. "Great teams have trust at the heart of their success. If you don’t trust each other, you’ll play safe. Trust makes it possible to aim higher. To leap further and to know someone has your back if you fall.” - Adam Grant
15. "Trust is built and maintained by many small actions over time." - Lolly Daskal
16. It takes two to do the trust tango--the one who risks (the trustor) and the one who is trustworthy (the trustee); each must play their role. - Warren Buffett
17. "You can't talk your way into trust, you have to behave your way into it." - Marie-Claire Ross, Trusted to Thrive
18. A team is not a group of people who work together. A team is a group of people who trust each other - Simon Sinek